Saturday, May 19, 2012

Obama the Politician

For me there exists a massive chasm between Obama the orator and Obama the politician. You see I want a president to be anti-war, yet Iraq and Afghanistan have been going on for over a decade. I want a president to not only say he is against torture but to do something about it, like close Gitmo as promised. I want a president to actually believe that all men (and women) are created equal no matter what the bible or any other book says. 

There is nothing wrong with abstract ideals when that list includes: freedom, equality and human rights. 

For me, words are not enough. You get four years to do something, I don't care if you fail because your actions are blocked by the other party or even your own democrats. But I expect you to act like you mean what you say. I don't care if you are running against liars, thieves, homophobes or all kinds of bigots and crooks. You see I measure you by what you do, by what you say and by what ideals you uphold.

Barack Obama the speaker of great words is an advertisement. Barack Obama the politician wouldn't know an ideal if he was staring at it in the mirror, which will never happen as long as he is a politician. 

No comments: