Friday, August 08, 2014

Another Parallel (Sports) World

I no longer follow professional sports, however I was intrigued when I heard that the San Francisco Giants were having a Filipino Heritage Night. In itself that is not unusual, teams have been having such events for a long time. It boosts attendance and encourages fan loyalty for non-sports related reasons. But what really intrigued me was the special item giveaway being offered for that game. If you buy the special event ticket you are entitled to a pair Filipino themed texting gloves.

I was going to explore the creation of and millennial need for texting gloves, but I'm going to leave that to you. Follow this link for more on this techno-cultural phenomenon.

The distraction from my original topic came when I went to the AT&T Park webpage and discovered that in multi-cultural, multi-verse San Francisco the themed night at the ballpark has taken on a whole new meaning. Here are just a few of the special event nights this year at Giants games:

7/30 Peanut Allergy Friendly Day
8/12 Jerry Garcia Tribute Night
8/15 Filipino Heritage Night
8/26 Bruce Lee Tribute Night
8/27 Irish Heritage Night
8/29 Wine Fest
8/31 Star Wars Day
9/9 Union Night
9/10 Masons Night
9/10 Video Gamer night (could there be a cultural conflict with the Masons?)
9/13 Fiesta Gigantes
9/25 Oktoberfest
9/26 African American Heritage Night
9/27 Yoga Day at the Park

Yes, only in San Francisco, a Yoga Day at the olde ballpark.




No comments: