Monday, July 20, 2020

Sloth in the Time of Covid-19


Race and Virus. Virus and Race. White Privilege. White Fragility.

I listen to all the personalized conversations around the Covid-19 Pandemic. First and foremost, people have died, are dying, will die. Families mourn. Medical personnel are overwhelmed. Pollution is down, domestic violence is up. Schools must reopen, children will die. Schools must remain closed, disadvantaged kids fall further behind.

In the midst of all of this, I am uncommonly privileged. So are many of my family and friends. We are older, which means we are more susceptible to the virus but also more easily able to isolate. We don't have to go out to work. Food and meals can be delivered or curb-sided.

I (we) have financial resources. I gave my $1200 Covid check to a local food bank. So did many of my friends. But the privilege remains. What to do?

First, do not go out and volunteer. We are prime candidates to bump up the already frightening statistics. Donate, yes. But we are already masking and distancing and quarantining. We can and I have made strong arguments to family, friends and friends of friends that those "smaller get-togethers" are just as likely to pass on the pandemic as those fools in bars and pool parties.

The one solid thing I am doing to shed the virus is not getting it, not carrying it, not passing it on. Other than that, the guilt is palpable at times. I am privileged but I also want to stay alive and I want you to do the same.

Be Safe. Be Sane.

No comments: