Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Disappointing Anniversary


I'm annoyed today. It will pass but today I am annoyed. You see it was a full year ago that I moved into the Berkeley co-op apartment with the truly spectacular view. True the decor left something to be desired but I have low expectations in those areas. There was much debate about remodeling, I was against it. My position was - you don't put money into the place until you are ready to sell. But my voice was advisory only, I did not have a vote.

Then in the late fall a decision was made to move ahead with a complete top-to-bottom remodel. I moved everything out and vacated the space on December 8th. The completion deadline was spoken of as being "the end of the year," now I have enough real estate experience to know that any date a contractor gives you should be multiplied by at least a factor of two. So I expected perhaps late January and would have been only mildly surprised by a February return date.

Well today is the one year anniversary of moving into the apartment and now over three months since I moved out and as you might guess I am not back in yet and expect it will minimally be another week or two even three before I do get back in and even then I expect there will be half a dozen pick-up items that won't be done and will take several more weeks or even months to finish.


Grumble. Mumble. Like a frustrated cheetah when the antelope gets away.


I'm annoyed today. It will pass.

1 comment:

Erin Vang said...

Project managers adjust the estimates our resources give us this way: increment the unit, double and increment the number. Examples: 1 hour means 3 days. 2 days means 5 weeks. 3 weeks means 7 months. 4 months means 9 years.