Saturday, April 18, 2020

The Bibliophile's Devotional


I have a dear friend with whom I periodically exchange books, articles and academic ephemera. Today in the midst of deliveries of food, hand sanitizer and catnip, came this book. With this thoughtful gift a long-standing personal dilemma has been resolved.

I have been looking to keep this little grey blog focused my quest to publish Grey Angel, my novel. Pandemic reflection and quarantine news are not serving that quest. But a daily dose of selective literature will surely spark something resembling literary at least once or twice a week.

I hope you will look forward to my meanderings sparked by The Bibliophile's Devotional.

Today's bon mot from Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier.

"At the first gesture of morning, flies began stirring."

"Inman, a confederate soldier wounded at the battle of Petersburg, wakes up in a hospital ward. Flies buzz around the long wound in his neck that after months has finally started to heal."



Thank-you, Don. 

. . . and a grateful bow to the book's author Hallie Ephron "the best, friendliest, hippest librarian you ever met."

No comments: