Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Mark Twain May Have Said It


Twain might have said it, but odds are he didn't. The quote I've been mulling for a few days, which is attributed to him goes like this:

"History does not repeat itself, but it rhymes."

Actually, there are several versions on that theme, all attached to absolutely no one in particular. So I get to build this post off the wording I find most evocative.

"History never repeats itself, but if often rhymes."
I've been pondering an eye-opening response I received to a group email sent out a few weeks ago. That email was about the virus. Part of what I said was:

"Hoping you and yours can avoid the scourge of these times. Also hoping we all understand this is in all likelihood the most significant historical event any of us will experience. Until now our war was Vietnam. JFK. MLK and RFK were assassinated. The Twin Towers fell. But this is worldwide, life will forever be altered if and when this is behind us."



One response from my email list of family & friends reminded me that my historical recollections might have been a bit short-sighted. While most of my contacts are in their 50s-60s-70s, there are several family members younger and one older, dear friend. I had forgotten that Vietnam might not be the conflict that compares to Covid-19.


My wiser friend wrote: "World War II stands out in my memory as a better comparison."


Which reminded me of another quote:

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

or perhaps

"Those who do not look back beyond their own history are simply observing not learning."

No comments: