Sunday, June 19, 2022

Is it me or . . .

 












Imagine, if you will, it is 1975. You are 70-something years old and up way past your bedtime. This new late night show comes on after the news - something about New York and Saturday night. You check your wall calendar and indeed, it is Saturday night. It appears to be some sort of comedy show with some young people, names like: Aykroyd, Belushi, Curtin, Morris, Newman and Radner. 

You are not amused by their jokes and skits. The show will never catch on. You go to bed.

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~ 

Last night, I caught the current rendition of SNL. Two skits and one guest singer in, I was not impressed by the comedy or the performer. But then, I realized I was now 70-something, perhaps I was no longer the audience for SNL and it was past my bedtime.

But just as I reached for the remote to end my evening viewing, Weekend Update came on. The standard SNL trope was still around and it was still really poignant and I laughed at nearly every bit of wit and satire.

So was it me or was it the current staff of SNL writers? Did I leave the audience or did they leave us?


No comments: