Sunday, May 24, 2020

Books Near & Far



I've been away. I know how is that even possible from quarantine. Let's just say it was more metaphysical than actual. Combination of some good reads and a healthy dose of bingeable cable. In fact, when asked: "How you guys doin'?" I have taken to responding with: "My brother and I take easily to sloth."

But I have been neglecting The Bibliophile's Devotional, which has delivered some memorable offerings both old and new. First, from May 10th, the new. I have heard of Don DeLillo but not his 1985 book White Noise. It now awaits me on my kindle.

"A brilliant satire of mass culture and the numbing effects of technology, 
White Noise tells the story of Jack Gladney,
 a teacher of Hitler studies at a liberal arts college in Middle America."

Need I say more? Seriously, Hitler Studies.



Also published in 1985 comes Larry McMurtry's classic Lonesome Dove. A great read and one of the few novels that was adapted near perfectly to television. This was the May 19th selection from The Bibliophile's Devotional and the first of four straight days of wonderful reads.



May 20th brought Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner published in 2003 just two years after the United States got involved in Afghanistan the setting for the early part of the novel.



May 21st brings us Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? which we all know was the basis for the film Blade Runner. Dick was a pioneer of science fiction and still one of my favorite writers in a genre filled with luminaries.



May 22nd finds us delving back to Animal Farm, George Orwell's allegorical tale from 1946, which rounds out the current book shelf suggestions from the Devotional.



No comments: